Are e-gates available at immigration entry points?
Are passengers required to undergo any health tests on arrival?
Automatic Border Control Units have been installed at the arrivals level and are controlled by the Greek State's competent Authority.
Are passengers required to quarantine on arrival at the airport?
A sample of arriving passengers is selected for Covid-19 testing, through an algorithm developed by the Greek State. Selection is done through the e-Passenger Locator Form (PLF) submitted in the relevant State website (https://travel.gov.gr/#/protocol_air) 24 hours prior travelling.
Tests are being performed by competent personnel of the Greek State, who are present in the terminal.
Also, there is a ban of entry applying to all non-EU citizens until 25.10.20, with certain exemptions as follows:
Exemptions apply for citizens and permanent residents from Australia, Canada, Georgia, Japan, New Zealand, Rwanda, South Korea, Thailand, Tunisia, Uruguay, the United Arab Emirates.
In order to prove their place of residence, third country nationals may present their residence permit, work permit, identity card, driving license or other documents, provided that it states place of residence.
Also exempted from the restrictions are:
- EU member states nationals & the Schengen agreement, including their spouses or persons with whom they have a cohabitation agreement, as well as their minor children.
- Passengers travelling for essential reasons, including health issues, business purposes, imperative family reasons, persons in need for international protection
- Medical & nursing staff, researchers & health professionals if they demonstrate at the points of entry evidence of their professional status and provided that their entry into the country relates to the exercise of their duties.
- Long—term residents or EU member states or Schengen agreement and 3rd country nationals holding a residence permit or in EU member state or Schengen agreement.
- Members of government delegations
- Members of diplomatic delegations or consulate authorities & delegations, members of international & European organizations, members of humanitarian organizations performing their duties, military & security forces officials & of general secretariat of civil protection.
- Personnel employed in the transport section, including seamen, aircraft crews and the crews and technical personnel of the leased aircraft firefighting equipment, lorry drivers & the absolutely necessary support staff for the transport of goods.
- Transit passengers
- Persons caring for the elderly & people with disability (disabled)
- Seasonal workers in the field of agriculture
The above persons are obliged to display documents & undergo laboratory medical examination.
- Third country nationals subject to prohibition herein have the right to submit request to the Greek consular authority of their place of residence or stay for their exceptional entry in the country for business or personal reasons.
A completed electronic Passenger Locator Form (e-PLF) is also compulsory for all inbound passengers. Families may submit a joint e-PLF form. In response to the e-PLF submission, passengers will receive a QR code displaying their selection for a PCR test upon arrival in Athens. The QR codes are addressed to passengers at midnight on the day of travel.
Until 25.10.2020 (included), all individuals arriving from Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, Czech Republic, Poland, the United Arab Emirates, Malta, Belgium, Spain, Albania & North Macedonia must display (additional to the PLF form and QR code) a negative molecular test (PCR) for Covid-19, conducted up to 72 hours before arrival in Greece.
Until 25.10.2020, 23:59 all permanent residents of the Russian Federation entering the country from the Russian Federation must display (additional to the PLF form and QR code) a negative molecular test (PCR) for Covid-19, conducted up to 72 hours before arrival in Greece. Flights from Russian Federation are limited to 500 passengers per week.
Until 25.10.2020, 23:59 all permanent residents of Israel entering the country from Israel must display (additional to the PLF form and QR code) a negative molecular test (PCR) for Covid-19, conducted up to 72 hours before arrival in Greece. Flights from Israel are limited to 5000 passengers per week.
Flights to/from Albania & North Macedonia are only allowed from/to Athens International Airport until 25.10.2020.
All flights from/to Turkey are suspended until 25.10.2020. In addition, all flights originating from any airport in the territory of Catalonia of Spain are suspended until 25.10.2020
Transit passengers via AIA, including those from restricted origins, are not required to display a negative molecular test (PCR) upon arrival, nor to submit a Passenger Locator Form (e-PLF).
For further information or questions regarding the procedure, you may contact the Greek General Secretariat for Civil Protection at 0030 2103359002-3 or email at email@example.com.
Airline operators shall ensure that passengers are duly informed before boarding and that they meet the requirements of traveling according to relevant measures in effect at the destination country at the time of travelling, otherwise they must deny boarding as per the Greek government's legislative acts. For further information you may contact your airline. Detailed contact information of airlines is provided in our website at the following link: https://www.aia.gr/traveler/travellers-info/airlines/
It is highly advisable that passengers get informed on the restrictions announced by their country of origin on their return from Greece. Some countries require a PCR test conducted some hours prior arrival, whilst others have issued restrictions for arriving passengers.
Governmental decisions regarding restrictions or requirements for the travelling public are updated at regular intervals and ad-hoc depending on the pandemic situation.
If airport-quarantine does the passenger bear hotel and other related costs, e.g. meals, transportation, etc.?
What, if any, protocols and precautions are in place for arriving passengers who are exiting the landside area?
In case State Authorities will decide a passenger’s quarantine, this takes place either in their home place or hotel of stay; otherwise, accommodation will be provided by the Greek State in a specially designated hotel.
Are drivers/meeters and greeters allowed to meet arriving passengers inside the terminal building?
Face coverings are required to be worn at all times, hand sanitizer dispensers in several spots of the landside area are provided and regular use is encouraged, while social distancing is required as well.
Are there any specific measures for drivers/meeters and greeters meeting/collecting arriving passengers? (e.g., subject to health screening)
It is strongly advised for meeters and greeters to avoid entrance to Landside arrivals inner area. However, any mandatory entrance is only allowed up to a short-designated area adjacent to building entrance.
Are there any special pick-up or curbside arrangements in place?
Regular precautionary measures of face mask use, sanitizing and distancing, applies to them too.
Special arrangements have been in effect before the pandemic. There is prohibition of use of the inner road close to the Terminal building, unless for taxis and busses at designated restricted areas. There is free of charge parking space for staging cars and drivers until passengers arrival.